[GAP Forum] Question about obtaining the PIMs of a finite group algebra kG in a quick way and MeatAxe64

Jürgen Müller juergen.m.mueller at arcor.de
Wed Oct 21 08:34:02 BST 2020

Dear Bernhard,

> Rumors told that there is MeatAxe64, but I don't have many pieces of
> information about this yet. Is it freely available?

About this, you probably best ask Richard Parker himself.

> I don't want to chop the regular module, and I am speaking of groups of
> order approximately between 20 000 and 1000 000.

Looking for PIMs is a matter of spinning up vectors (in MeatAxe language)
in suitable modules, rather than chopping. But PIMs typically are `large’
modules, whose dimension is comparable to the group order, so that you
might have to deal with modules `close’ to the regular module.

Of course, spinning in the regular module in principle yields a general
algorithm, which even might be feasible in your cases, since the regular
module is a permutation module.

But, depending on the example under consideration, you might be able
to do better: for example, if G is p-solvable, then the 1-PIM is just the
permutation module on the cosets of Hall p’-subgroup.

> Later, I would like to use the obtained result tomake further computations
> with other kG-modules, as well.

Doing sophisticated computations with modules of dimension 10^6
might easily be prohibitive.  So, what precisely do you want to know
about the PIMs? (For example, if you are interested in Ext groups
between simple modules, there are other ways to tackle that.)

Hope this helps.

Best wishes, Jürgen Müller