[GAP Forum] Question about obtaining the PIMs of a finite group algebra kG in a quick way and MeatAxe64

Bernhard Boehmler bernhard.boehmler at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 20 23:09:42 BST 2020

Dear GAP forum,

let G be a finite group and k be a finite field where char(k)=p divides the
order of G.

I would like to kindly ask you the following question:

Is there an algorithm (freely available or already implemented in GAP4)
that can find in a relatively quick way the PIMs of kG for relatively big
groups G?

I wouldn't care if it took a few days, but a few months would probably be
too time consuming.

I don't want to chop the regular module, and I am speaking of groups of
order approximately between 20 000 and 1000 000.

Later, I would like to use the obtained result tomake further computations
with other kG-modules, as well.

Rumors told that there is MeatAxe64, but I don't have many pieces of
information about this yet. Is it freely available?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Bernhard Boehmler