[GAP Forum] Problems getting GAP to read my files

Will Chen oxeimon at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 01:44:31 BST 2020

Dear all,

I've just installed gap 4.11.0 on a new macbook. Installation seems to gone
smoothly. However I'm having trouble getting gap to read my files. It can't
find them.

The gap folder is at: "/Users/wchen/gap-4.11.0".
Inside that folder, I put a document which I want it to read called
"setup.g"

However, when I enter:

Read("setup.g");

I get the error:

Error, file "setup.g" must exist and be readable at
/Users/wchen/gap-4.11.0/lib/files.gi:210 called from

<function "Read string">( <arguments> )

 called from read-eval loop at *stdin*:5

you can 'quit;' to quit to outer loop, or

you can 'return;' to continue

I find this confusing because ".../lib/files.gi" isn't even a folder. It's
a file. I get the exact same error even if I use the full path

"Read("Users/wchen/gap-4.11.0/setup.g");"

or

Read("/Users/wchen/gap-4.11.0/setup.g");

I was also not able to find any documentation about this.

I would very much appreciate some help.

- Will

--

William Chen
NSF Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Mathematics
oxeimon at gmail.com