[GAP Forum] transitive groups with irreducible representations defined over QQ[sqrt(5)]

Thomas Breuer sam at Math.RWTH-Aachen.De
Sun Apr 12 20:33:00 BST 2020

Dear GAP Forum,

property (*2) for the irreducible representation \rho of G means
that the restriction of \rho to H has a trivial constituent 1_H
and thus \rho is a constituent of (1_H)^G, which is the natural
permutation representation of G.

(This solves the problem if G is 2-transitive.)

The following answer does not fit to the three questions,
but it may be interesting.
There is an algorithm by Michler and Weller for computing the
abovementioned constituents, see

    G. O. Michler and M. Weller,
    The character values of the irreducible constituents
    of a transitive permutation representation,
    Arch. Math. (Basel) 78 (2002), no. 6, 417–429.

I am not aware of a GAP implementation of this algorithm.

All the best,
Thomas