[GAP Forum] transitive groups with irreducible representations defined over QQ[sqrt(5)]

Dima Pasechnik dmitrii.pasechnik at cs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 12 05:15:00 BST 2020

Hi Vincent,
On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 08:05:35PM +0200, Vincent Delecroix wrote:

> I am looking for transitive groups G of S_d (I don't know d) with
> the following properties
>
>  (*1) G admits an irreducible representation defined over
>       QQ[sqrt(5)]  (in particular the character is real)
>
>  (*2) the stabilizer H of 1 in G admits invariant vectors
>      in that irreducible representation.
>
> Question number one: knowing an irreducible representation defined
> over QQ[sqrt(5)] what is the fastest way to check for (*2)?

Do you also have d given at this moment? If not, one can argue
that for d=|G| one has that (*2) holds automatically:
indeed, take the regular permutation representation of G. Then the
QQ[sqrt(5)]-irreducible will be there, and H={1_G} will certainly
leave every vector there invariant.

HTH.

Best
Dima