[GAP Forum] Forum Digest, Vol 194, Issue 7

Thomas Breuer sam at Math.RWTH-Aachen.De
Sun Feb 9 16:47:48 GMT 2020

Dear Siddharta,

thank you for your reply.

I do not understand your first statement.
The group GL(3,2) has two conjugacy classes of elements of order 7,
but the ATLAS of Finite Groups does not define which of them is called 7A.
Defining class names for an abstract group makes sense only up to group
automorphisms, and the group automorphism that maps each meatrix in GL(3,2)
to its transposed inverse swaps the two classes of element order 7.

Concerning the GAP function 'ConjugacyClasses', in general the ordering
of the result list can be different for the same group in different GAP
sessions, or for different group objects in the same GAP session
which happen to be equal as sets.
(However, the class of the identity element always comes first.)
There are groups for which in fact such differences cannot be observed
with the current GAP, but you cannot rely on the fact that this will
still be the case with the next version of GAP.

All the best,
Thomas