[GAP Forum] Small Groups which are not a direct product of a smaller group and a cyclic group

Horvath Gabor ghorvath at science.unideb.hu
Sun Sep 23 22:39:05 BST 2018

Hi Jacek,

Direct product decomposition is unique up to isomorphism of the factors.
So if StructureDescription says Csomething x smallgerGroup, then it is
indeed a direct product of such. When looking at decomposing further (into
semidirect products and extensions), then the decompositon may not be
unique, anymore. But for direct products it is unique.

The bound of 100 in the manual speaks about how quickly can one get the
results. With GAP 4.9.3 the algorithm for StructureDescription is smarter
than before, and with today's computers it may take faster to compute
the structure for some groups than previously, but it still can be very
slow depending on the group.

If you are only interested in the direct factors, then you can use the
function DirectFactorsOfGroup, which gives you the direct factors of the
particular group. Then you can check if any of them cyclic.

Alternatively, if G = H x <g>, then g must commute with H, and of course
with g, thus g commutes with G, as well. Therefore, g is in the center of
G. Furthermore, <g> must have trivial intersection with the derived
subgroup G'.
So you can go over the elements (or rational classes) of the center, see
if the generated group intersects trivially the derived subgroup, and if
yes, then you can try to find a complement (using the command
NormalComplement). This is how DirectFactorsOfGroup finds the abelian
direct factors. You can use something like this:

C := Center(G);
Gd := DerivedSubgroup(G);
D := Intersection(C, Gd);
for g in RationalClasses(C) do
   N := Subgroup(C, [Representative(g)]);
   if not IsTrivial(N) and IsTrivialNormalIntersection(C, D, N) then
     B := NormalComplement(G, N);
     if B <> fail then
       print(N, B);
       break;