[GAP Forum] Small Groups which are not a direct product of a smaller group and a cyclic group

Jacek M. Holeczek jacek.m.holeczek at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 22:07:36 BST 2018

Hi,
I am looking for a bullet-proof method of identifying Small Groups that
cannot be written as a direct product of a smaller group and a cyclic
group of some size (I do not care about the size of this cyclic group).

Some people use the output of the "StructureDescription(G)" method
(where "G:=SmallGroup(o,i);", of course) and, as soon as they see
"C<size> x SomeThing", they assume that the group G is such a "genuine"
direct product (denoted by the "x") of a "genuine" cyclic group
"C<size>" and some smaller group described by "SomeThing".

However, the manual explicitly says that the output of this method
should be used for "educational" purposes only as it really provides a
partial description of the structure only, especially for orders higher
than 100.
I think I have even read somewhere that the "C<size>" does not
necessarily represent a "genuine" cyclic group and that the "x" does not
necessarily represent a "genuine" direct product operation.

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Jacek.