[GAP Forum] line by line input for classroom use

Monson, Barry R bmonson at unb.ca
Sun Jan 10 21:12:38 GMT 2010

 Dear GAP-forum,
           I am using Gap in a course on computer algebra. Naturally I want to prepare
typical commands or more involved examples to discuss in class. But I don't want to type
each
line in when in class, if only to keep chalk dust away from my laptop.
           So suppose I have several examples already entered into a file called stuff,
which looks like this, say:
                             # here is a list:
                              a:=[4,3,3,4,2];
                             # Make it into a set:
                              se:=Set(a);
                             # Now for a group
                              G:=Group((1,2,3),(3,4,5));
                              Size(G);
Here the file "stuff" ends.
           Is there some command from the Gap session which would let me read in (but
not execute)
such lines one by one, say when prompted by some function key; then I'd execute the
current line,
discuss the result, then request the next line in the pre-prepared file "stuff", etc.
           So of course I don't want a simple Read("stuff") command.
           Sure I can have "stuff" open and copy/paste into the Gap window. But
I'm wondering if there is a slicker solution.

Thanks,
Barry.