[GAP Forum] functions work wih conjugacy class

Alireza Abdollahi alireza_abdollahi at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 21 10:43:27 BST 2009

Dear Azhvan

The generating set must be symmetrized.
Also, remeber that root function in GAP (as other computational package) cannot compute all the roots and present them as an output, so sometimes (or often!) you see an output which  seemingly incomplete (i.e., it does not contain all the eigenvalues).
Anyway, the functions below can be considered as starting point to obtain and adhoc one for yourself.

It may be possible to find eigenvalues corresponding to an irreducible character (you need change the followings for it), I think it is not possible to find in this way all the eigenvalues.
In fact, this is my feeling (not a mathematical thing) that it is better to calculate eigenvalues of a Cayley graph by constructing its adjacency matrix and then finding its spectrum. It is very easy, e.g., in GAP by using Soicher's GRAPE package to have the adjacency matrix. While using the approach of ``irreducible character'' (I think)it is often used in theoretical proofs for some computations and apart of its nice form suggesting that it is useful for compute for the ``whole of spectrum'', it is NOT. Of course, it is ideal to compute a part of spectrum.

All the Best
Alireza

Alireza Abdollahi
Department of Mathematics