[GAP Forum] Re: Real field

Alexander Hulpke hulpke at math.colostate.edu
Tue Aug 7 23:30:26 BST 2007

Dear Forum, Dear Mathieu,

>> From the various comments I understand that it is not reasonable
> to try to use the existing cyclotomic fields but that the "right"
> solution would be to redefine from scratch the new field Q(Sqrt(5)).
>
> Gap offers cyclotomic fields, finite fields, number fields, various
> kind of rings, but not real fields. Is there an intrisic obstacle
> to it?

GAP offers subfields of the cyclotomics (and thus real subfields of
the cyclotomics). The problem is simply with the comparison:
GAP needs to have a comparison (via `<`) defined on all of the
cyclotomics for example to form sets. at the moment this comparison
is rather ad-hoc and for irrational real numbers is not compatible
with the ordering induced by the real numbers.
This is indeed a pity, however doing so would be rather hard:
It is not sufficient to have a comparison only for some subfield, but
a comparison must be possible for any elements. Leaving out non-real
elements this means we have to be able to compare real elements of CF
(5), say, with elements of CF(317). The only method for this which I
am aware of is via numerical approximation, which is potentially very
expensive.

If anybody has a better idea of how to define a total order on the
cyclotomics that for the real subfield is compatible with the natural
ordering I'd be very happy to hear about.

Best,

    Alexander

-- Colorado State University, Department of Mathematics,
Weber Building, 1874 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1874, USA
email: hulpke at math.colostate.edu, Phone: ++1-970-4914288
http://www.math.colostate.edu/~hulpke