[GAP Forum] Re: Real field

Mathieu Dutour Mathieu.Dutour at ens.fr
Tue Aug 7 21:38:15 BST 2007

Dear all,

first thanks for your help, I see a little bit better about what
should be the solution.

It is not possible for me to use continued fractions since
for example the facets of 600-cell are icosahedron and I want to
decide incidence exactly, I really need to be able to decide if
a=b.

>From the various comments I understand that it is not reasonable
to try to use the existing cyclotomic fields but that the "right"
solution would be to redefine from scratch the new field Q(Sqrt(5)).

Gap offers cyclotomic fields, finite fields, number fields, various
kind of rings, but not real fields. Is there an intrisic obstacle
to it?

  Mathieu

--
Mathieu Dutour Sikiric		Researcher in Mathematics
Telephone:.(+385)1 4571 237	and Computer Science