[GAP Forum] van Kampen diagrams

Dmitrii Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Mon Jan 8 13:56:46 GMT 2007

This seems to be related to shellability of polytopes, see e.g.
G.M.Ziegler's book "Lectures on polytopes" on this topic.
(I presume that "topologically a sphere" means that we deal with a
3-connected planar graph. Then by Steinitz thm it comes from a 3-polytope)
The "sequence of patches" is then a shelling of the polytope. Shellings of
polytopes always exist.

The extra condition on curvature makes the problem seemingly nontrivial.
Perhaps some "statistics" on possible distributions of shapes of faces in
3-polytopes might help - but I'm not an expert on this.

HTH,
--
Dima Pasechnik
http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/dima/