[GAP Forum] van Kampen diagrams

chris chalk chris.chalk1 at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 8 23:36:01 GMT 2007

Beth,
 thanks for this lovely question. Its got a strong 4-color theorem flavour
about it. So how about this as an approach? Consider the dual D of the
spherical VK diagram. So faces become vertices and the 3 degree vertices
become triangles and we have a triangulation of the sphere, where, from
Euler, the average degree of  the vertices of D must be < 6. Your question
is then, is it always possible somehow to enumerate or order the vertices of
D so that in this 'ordering'
  I) each vertex is connected to its predecessor/successor by an edge of D,
and
  II)  the average degree of  the vertices of every initial subset of this
ordering is < 6.
 eg if the degrees of vertices of  an 'ordering'  begin  as
(5,6,6,5,7,6,...) then this satisfies this 'ordering condition' (so far at
least), but if they begin  (5,6,6,7,5,6,..) then they don't.

So here's a  sketch of a start of a possible proof....!??
 Following the 4 Colour Thm proof, assume there exist one or more spherical
diagrams which don't allow this 'ordering' of vertices. Choose one, M,
which has the smallest number of vertices.  Now pick any vertex V of degree
5 or less in M. There then exists a maximal connected planar subdiagram S of
M containing V in its interior, such that all other interior vertices of S
are of degree 6 or less. For example it could be that V is connected to
another vertex W of degree 5  but that all the other (6?) vertices connected
to V and W have degree > 6. In this case S would a 6 sided subdiagram of M.
We can then shrink this subdiagram to a point or vertex to  form a spherical
diagram  M' with fewer vertices than M for which, by assumption, an
'ordering' of the vertices exist. eg S, above would shrink to a vertex of
degree 6 and M' would have 2 fewer vertices than M.
Could it be that from the 'ordering' of M' we could construct an 'ordering'
of the larger diagram M and so derive a contradiction to the assumption that
no such 'ordering' exists.?
Its of course possible that S wraps round the sphere and so isn't planar
then cant just shrink S to a vertex without forming two spheres - maybe it
isn't necessary to let vertices of degrees 6 belong to S....
 I hope this might be of some help.
 regards Chris