[GAP Forum] using GAP on windows

Brooksbank pbrooksb at bucknell.edu
Mon Aug 23 19:14:14 BST 2004

Dear Forum

I have questions that are more about operating systems than GAP, but maybe
someone can help. I am about to introduce GAP to the students in my algebra
class, and the tech people at my college installed the system on a
collection of windows machines in one of our computer labs. In the past, I
have only installed and used GAP on Linux machines, and I'm having trouble
both logging GAP sessions to external files, and reading external files
into a GAP system. The

LogTo(<filename>)

command results in an error. The problem with the

Read(<filename>)

command is that I don't seem to be able to save files inside the "gap4r4"
folder or any of its subfolders. Are the two problems related? Is it that
permissions to write files to the "gap4r4" folder need to be set by system
administrators?

I'd be most grateful if anyone can answer these specific questions and/or
have suggestions/tips for using GAP on windows.

Best Regards,

Peter Brooksbank