[GAP Forum] Non-negative solutions to linear Diophantine equations

Nagy Gabor nagyg at math.u-szeged.hu
Tue Dec 29 12:43:26 GMT 2020

Hi Sven,

It seems that you have an integer linear programming (ILP) problem.
Simple backtrack search will not bring you very far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integer_programming

Unfortunately, GAP has no LP or ILP solver. Thus, I suggest you to try
SageMath (or Cocalc.com, which is basically the same). It has an
extremely simple and intuitive interface to many great ILP solver software:

https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/thematic_tutorials/linear_programming.html

Me personally, I like GLPK (since it is GPL) and Gurobi (performs good,
with free academic license).

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gabor