[GAP Forum] ConjugacyClassesSubgroups

tkohl at math.bu.edu tkohl at math.bu.edu
Thu Dec 3 15:28:35 GMT 2020

Hi

> > which seems rather inefficient.
>
> Building up the subgroups of size n in general requires first constructing all
> smaller subgroup (resp. their classes). This can be done with LatticeByCyclicExtension:
>
> LatticeByCyclicExtension(G, G -> Size(G) <= n);
>
> However, this is not necessarily faster than ConjugacyClassesSubgroups. E.g. for A_10 as input, on my laptop ConjugacyClassesSubgroups(G) takes 5 seconds, while
>   LatticeByCyclicExtension(G, G -> Size(G) <= 10);
> requires almost 19 seconds.
>
> What type and size of group is G, and how big is n? Do you have further restrictions about the subgroups you need? (E.g. perhaps they must be solvable/perfect/simple/...)?

Thanks for the information.

The groups in question are somewhat large, but the subgroups I'm looking for are comparatively
small. Basically I have H normal in N with quotient T and I am trying to find sections of
H -> N -> T inside N if there are any. Perhaps I could use the fact that the subgroups
I'm looking for would have to constitute a transversal of H in N, but I'm not sure if
that helps or not.

	-T