[GAP Forum] Support for gap in emacs

Max Horn horn at mathematik.uni-kl.de
Thu Oct 29 00:00:43 GMT 2020

Hi Mathieu,

> On 28. Oct 2020, at 10:52, Mathieu Dutour <mathieu.dutour at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> This code should be the one on the GAP web page.

In 2017, we were contacted by an FSF lawyer informing us that our distribution of an emacs mode was in violation of the GPL (specifically, the GPL 3, which was absurd already back then given that the code predated the GPL 3 by many years). In any case, we ended up removing all traces of that code. As a consequence of this unpleasant experience, we have no intention of changing that, even if now there might be versions of the emacs integration which the FSF deems acceptable.

However, I've posted a pull request to update the website with the new location of the GAP mode which Dima supplied; see <https://github.com/gap-system/GapWWW/pull/205>.

Regards
Max