[GAP Forum] Fwd: The other intersection

Motalane, John john.motalane at ul.ac.za
Sat Sep 26 18:14:23 BST 2020

Dear GAP Forum

Dear All

Hoping that you are all fine.

On the group Sp(6,2), in order to get intersections. I used the below
programme you provided which is working fine. To my suprise for the
intersection of the maximal subgroup m2 and m8 of Sp(6,2), I could get only
one candidate whose order is 42. If I try to get the other candidate if
any, the computer couldn't end the calculations for hours. Should I
conclude that this is the only candidate or I should exercise my patient.

    gap> g:= SP( IsPermGroup, 6, 2 );
    gap> mx:= MaximalSubgroupClassReps( g );;
    gap> m2:= Filtered( mx, x -> Size(x) = 2^4*3*5* 168);
    gap> m8:= Filtered( mx, x -> Size(x) = 3^2 * 168 );
    gap> Size( Intersection( m2[1], m8[1] ) );
     42
    gap> repeat inter:= Intersection( m1[1], m2[1]^Random(g) );
    >    until Size( inter ) <> 42;

Thank you in advance.

Warm regards John

--

DISCLAIMER *** This message and any attachments are confidential and
intended solely for the addressee. The following link will display the full
disclaimer: http://www.ul.ac.za/disclaimer.jpg
<http://www.ul.ac.za/disclaimer.jpg> ***

--
**