[GAP Forum] a suggestion on the design of GAP

Wilf Wilson gap at wilf-wilson.net
Wed Aug 19 23:10:45 BST 2020

Dear Benjamin,

I understand your annoyance at the similarly named commands with slightly different arguments and different capabilities.

I’d just like to note, for those who did not know, that the function AllIrreducibleSolvableGroups is contained in the PrimGrp package, whereas the command AllIrreducibleSolubleMatrixGroups (and the others, which are declared as synonyms) is contained in the Irredsol package. The documentation for each of these functions can be seen at https://gap-packages.github.io/primgrp/doc/chap2.html#X7DAC64F17C8B49A2 <https://gap-packages.github.io/primgrp/doc/chap2.html#X7DAC64F17C8B49A2> and https://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/pkg/irredsol/html/CHAP002.htm#SECT003 <https://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/pkg/irredsol/html/CHAP002.htm#SECT003> respectively.

Note also that the PrimGrp package is required by GAP, whereas Irredsol is not.

Best wishes,
Wilf