[GAP Forum] needs help in programming for an integral power.

Max Horn horn at mathematik.uni-kl.de
Mon Jul 27 12:39:07 BST 2020

Dear Fawad Hayat,

from you description it is not really clear what you want to compute; nor does your pseudo code snippet make much sense to me.

> On 27. Jul 2020, at 05:53, Fawad Hayat <fawadhayat05 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello everbody,
>
> I’m writing a program in GAP for group elements, that any two elements of a
> group G are an integral power of one another, i.e., for any x, y ∈ G, then x
> n=y or yn=x, where n is any positive integer.

If you really just want to check for a given group G whether

 \forall x,y\in G \exists n>0:  x^n=y  or y^n=x

Then you don't need to write length GAP programs for this: You can easily characterize these groups by hand: they certainly must be cyclic; now you just need to check which cyclic groups satisfy this property (I'll leave it to you to figure out which exactly, it's a fun exercise).

Or perhaps you really want to compute something else; then you should try to carefully write up what it is you really are asking, mathematically, so that we have a chance of understanding and helping.

Best regards
Max Horn