[GAP Forum] homomorphism construction wanted

Max Horn horn at mathematik.uni-kl.de
Sun Apr 12 14:33:58 BST 2020

Dear Graham,

> On 12. Apr 2020, at 14:37, Ellis, Grahamj <graham.ellis at nuigalway.ie> wrote:
>
> Dear GAP Community,
>
> Is there a way to construct a group homomorphism using a variant of the function
>
> f:=GroupHomomorphismByFunction(G,H,x->function(x))

Minor side remark:  instead of writing
  x->function(x)
you can just write
  function

> for which
>
> ImageElm(f,x)
>
> does not test to see if x lies in G?

But ImageElm in the above setting never tests if x lies in G. It directly calls the function you provided:

gap> f:=GroupHomomorphismByFunction(G,H,x->x^2);;
gap> Display(ApplicableMethod(ImageElm, [f, G.1]));
function ( map, elm )
    return map!.fun( elm );
end

Any membership tests you are seeing must be caused by something else.

Cheers
Max