[GAP Forum] Can't bind readline functions

Bill Allombert Bill.Allombert at math.u-bordeaux.fr
Mon Feb 10 12:39:33 GMT 2020

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 12:23:23PM +0000, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> Dear Ralf,
>
> In GAP Ctrl-r and Ctrn-n was, in pre-readline times, used to scroll the
> history back and forth, and it's still the case now.
>
> AFAIK it's not customizable, yet.
> (Patches to fix this are welcome).

As far as I understand, the problem is that GAP does not use the
'history' part of readline, but its own code, to implement
traditional GAP history behaviour.

However it is now possible to configure readline to have a similar
behaviour than GAP by setting:

"\e[A": history-search-backward
"\e[B": history-search-forward
(and probably similar for Ctrl-r and Ctrl-n).

So it might be possible for GAP to use history while setting this default
to keep the traditional behaviour.

Cheers,
Bill.