[GAP Forum] Can't bind readline functions

Ralf diffset at arcor.de
Mon Feb 10 11:28:52 GMT 2020

Hi,

I recently started to use gap and I was happy to see that it comes with
a readline interface. However it doesn't seem to work as advertised. For
instance in other readline enabled programs I usually make have use of
the function "reverse-search-history" which is by default bound to
"C-r". However, it does not work in gap. I even added it to my .inputrc
file (which I should not need since it is the default). Although gap
honours certain changes to the .inputrc like the "blink-matching-paren"
variable it seems to fail to honour binding functions to certain keys.
Not even the dump-function example in section 6.9.1 of the reference
manual works, i.e. the lines in my .inputrc

$if GAP
    set blink-matching-paren on
    "\C-r": reverse-search-history
    "\C-n": dump-functions
$endif

don't have an effect apart from the matching parenthesis stuff. What am
I doing wrong? My setup is as follows

 ┌───────┐   GAP 4.10.2 of 19-Jun-2019
 │  GAP  │   https://www.gap-system.org
 └───────┘   Architecture: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-default64-kv3
 Configuration:  gmp 6.2.0, readline

Thanks, Ralf