[GAP Forum] Computing conjugacy classes on matrix groups over finite fields

Thomas Breuer sam at Math.RWTH-Aachen.De
Wed Jan 29 19:02:30 GMT 2020

Dear Forum,

since Siddharta asked about conjugay of elements in a group,
without mentioning the context of character tables,
I would propose just to use 'IsConjugate'.

    gap> x:= [ [1,1,0], [0,1,0], [0,0,1] ] * Z(2);;
    gap> y:= [ [0,0,1], [1,0,0], [0,1,0] ] * Z(2);;
    gap> g:= Group( x, y );;
    gap> Size( g );
    168
    gap> xy:= x * y;;
    gap> Order( xy );
    7
    gap> ccl:= ConjugacyClasses( g );;
    gap> reps:= List( ccl, Representative );;
    gap> List( reps, Order );
    [ 1, 2, 4, 7, 7, 3 ]
    gap> xy in ccl[4];
    true
    gap> xy in ccl[5];
    false

I think that it makes no sense to ask in which of the two classes
the element 'xy' lies, unless one has defined what ``the first of the
two classes'' means.
Note that there is a group automorphism that swaps the two classes.
But once you have fixed a class, you can ask whether 'xy' lies in that class.

    gap> IsConjugate( g, xy, reps[4] );
    true

And it makes sense to ask whether some power of 'xy' is conjugate to 'xy'.

    gap> List( [ 1 .. 6 ], i -> IsConjugate( g, xy^i, xy ) );
    [ true, true, false, true, false, false ]

All the best,
Thomas