[GAP Forum] listing simple groups

GAP gap at rkd.math.cornell.edu
Thu Dec 5 18:44:22 GMT 2019

Hi.

As I don't really know exactly how the iteration works for SimpleGroups,
I seem to run out of memory if I try to run it for very long.  For example,

ListSimple3:=function()
    local it,i,cnt;
    SetInfoLevel(InfoWarning,0);
    it:=SimpleGroupsIterator(1);;
    cnt:=0;
    for i in it do
        cnt:=1+cnt;
        Print([cnt,i,Size(i),DataAboutSimpleGroup(i)],"\n");
    od;
end;

runs out of memory at a little over 20,000 with using gap -o 200g.

So I presume it's keeping all the smaller groups, or at least some information
about them.  How do I remove all the older stuff from memory as I go along?

This seems to be the problem, as I can restart at some specific place
by giving the correct cnt, and the relevant size of the starting simple group
it:=SimpleGroupsItertor(siz);  Then it will list thousands more simple groups
until it runs out of memory again.

Thanks.

Keith