[GAP Forum] Automorphisms of abelian groups from presentation

Dima Pasechnik dmitrii.pasechnik at cs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 24 12:56:36 BST 2019

Dear Danny,
On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 07:08:31AM -0400, Daniel Ruberman wrote:

> Thanks for the response. To answer your question, both groups G and H are finite. The group H arises as a group of permutations of the basis elements of the free abelian groups V and W and is generated by transpositions of some of those basis elements.

I see, this looks doable, e.g. via the usual finitely presented groups
technique of coset enumeration, assuming your |G| is "modest", say at
most 10^6  (even though 10^7 would still be doable).

Write down a faithful presentation for the extenion W.H, and enumerate
the cosets of V.H in W.H. The result will be a permutation group G.H,
(or perhaps not H, but a proper quotient of H)
with H the point stabilizer, and the orbits you are after will be
exactly the orbits of H in this action.
(also, the set G.H acts on will be G, with elements given as words in
generators of W).

I'd be happy to provide more details if needed.

Best,
Dima