[GAP Forum] Displaying character table with different conjugacy class labels

David Madore david+gapforum at madore.org
Tue Aug 13 19:10:24 BST 2019

Hi,

I'm not sure whether my question concerns GAP proper or the character
table library: I'm using GAP from Debian stretch (now oldstable) which
identifies as follows (although I can easily switch to a different
version if this is relevant):

 ┌───────┐   GAP 4.8.6, 12-Nov-2016, build of 2016-12-18 09:03:11 (UTC)
 │  GAP  │   http://www.gap-system.org
 └───────┘   Architecture: x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc-default64
 Libs used:  gmp, readline
 Components: trans 1.0, prim 2.1, small* 1.0, id* 1.0
 Packages:   AtlasRep 1.5.1, CTblLib 1.2.2, FGA 1.2.0, GAPDoc 1.5.1, TomLib 1.2.5

Anyway, I'd like to display a character table (tbl, say, computed by
something like tbl := CharacterTable("W(E8)")) but with a different
labeling of the conjugacy classes.  It turns out that the function
AtlasClassNames(tbl) gives the labels I want, but I couldn't figure
out a way to either get Display(tbl) to use this set of labels or
modify tbl so as to replace the origina labels.

This is merely a display issue.  I'm not trying to change anything in
the computation or even in the order of the classes.

Thanks for the help,

[Message resent because initially sent from the wrong address.
Sorry.]

--
     David A. Madore
   ( http://www.madore.org/~david/ )