[GAP Forum] Presentation of G_2(3)

William Giuliano williamgiuliano00 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 12:46:02 BST 2019

Dear Forum,
                     I need to consider the simple group G_2(3) as a
finitely presented group. I tried to start both with
G:=PrimitiveGroup(378,7) and G:=SimpleGroup(“G_2(3)”)
and then use
IsomorphismFpGroup(G) and
IsomorphismFpGroupByGenerators(G,SmallGeneratingSet(G))
but in both cases it seems that GAP (and also MAGMA) is not able to work
well with the given presentation. I mean that if I try to construct a Fp
group using the generators and the relations given by the isomorphisms
above, not even the order of the group seems to be available. Is it
hopeless because of the size of G, or are there ways of dealing with this
problem?

Thank you very much
William