[GAP Forum] GRAPE documentation not compiling in fresh installation of GAP 4.10.1

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Mar 25 23:34:29 GMT 2019

Dear Mike,

> On 25. Mar 2019, at 22:33, mike newman <mnewman at uottawa.ca> wrote:
>
> Dear Forum,
>

> I recently updated to GAP 4.10.1, and installed it fresh.
> However, the (LaTeX) documentation for GRAPE didn't get compiled.
> So help files for GRAPE come up as ascii text on the screen while all others come up as nice shiny .pdf files.
>

> In the directory ${GAP_ROOT}/pkg/grape-4.8.1/doc/, there was no .pdf file at all.

I just double checked and downloaded a fresh copy of GAP 4.10.1 (actually, three of them: I checked the .tar.gz, .tar.bz2 and .zip archives -- which one did you use?). And pkg/grape-4.8.1/doc/manual.pdf definitely exists in them. It is also present in the stand-alone grape-4.8.1.tar.gz archive, and also in 4.8.2 (released last week).

My best guess is that perhaps the archive got somehow corrupted when you download it? I would suggested to download it again, and verify the package SHA256 checksum given on the downloads page.

>  I ran
>   . make_doc
> at the bash command line to create manual.pdf and this seems to work fine now.  So it's fixed for me, but presumably this should have been part of the installation process.
>

> Possible reason: I notice that in my old GAP 4.9.2, the relevant directory was ${GAP_ROOT}/pkg/grape/doc/ so perhaps the installer was expecting a version-less directory name?

No, no such assumptions are made, and most packages are now using the PKGNAME-VERSION style for the directory name. In fact, GAP accepts arbitrary directory names for packages, no relation to the package name is required.

Cheers,
Max