[GAP Forum] GRAPE documentation not compiling in fresh installation of GAP 4.10.1

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Mar 25 23:34:29 GMT 2019

Dear Mike,

> On 25. Mar 2019, at 22:33, mike newman <mnewman at uottawa.ca> wrote:
> 
> Dear Forum,
> 
> 
> I recently updated to GAP 4.10.1, and installed it fresh.
> However, the (LaTeX) documentation for GRAPE didn't get compiled.
> So help files for GRAPE come up as ascii text on the screen while all others come up as nice shiny .pdf files.
> 
> 
> In the directory ${GAP_ROOT}/pkg/grape-4.8.1/doc/, there was no .pdf file at all.

I just double checked and downloaded a fresh copy of GAP 4.10.1 (actually, three of them: I checked the .tar.gz, .tar.bz2 and .zip archives -- which one did you use?). And pkg/grape-4.8.1/doc/manual.pdf definitely exists in them. It is also present in the stand-alone grape-4.8.1.tar.gz archive, and also in 4.8.2 (released last week).

My best guess is that perhaps the archive got somehow corrupted when you download it? I would suggested to download it again, and verify the package SHA256 checksum given on the downloads page.

>  I ran
>   . make_doc
> at the bash command line to create manual.pdf and this seems to work fine now.  So it's fixed for me, but presumably this should have been part of the installation process.
> 
> 
> Possible reason: I notice that in my old GAP 4.9.2, the relevant directory was ${GAP_ROOT}/pkg/grape/doc/ so perhaps the installer was expecting a version-less directory name?

No, no such assumptions are made, and most packages are now using the PKGNAME-VERSION style for the directory name. In fact, GAP accepts arbitrary directory names for packages, no relation to the package name is required.

Cheers,
Max

More information about the Forum mailing list