[GAP Forum] 2nd Announcement - GAP Days Spring 2019 - Modern Permutation Group Algorithms - Halle (Saale) Germany

Markus Pfeiffer markus.pfeiffer at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 11:12:22 GMT 2019

Dear all,

We warmly invite you to the beautiful Halle an der Saale in
Germany for the 9<sup>th</sup> GAP Days, which will take place
from 18th-22nd March 2019. Registration is open at:

  https://www.gapdays.de/gapdays2019-spring/registration

We have set aside a small number of hotel rooms for participants
of the GAP Days, **available until 2nd February**, at the TRYP by
Wyndham Halle. Instructions on how to make use of this offer are
available on the registration page.

The theme of this GAP Days will be “Modern Permutation Group
Algorithms”. During this GAP Days, we aim to survey, understand,
and develop the algorithmic infrastructure for permutation groups
in GAP. To support these aims, we will begin by spending the first
day reviewing and discussing the current functionality in GAP for
permutations and permutation groups, beginning with the way
permutations are stored and the basic orbit-stabiliser algorithms,
and identifying areas in the code and documentation for
improvement as we proceed.

We will also include a small number of additional talks during the
GAP Days about computing with permutation groups in GAP. If there
is a particular topic in this area that you would like to hear a
talk about, then please include details in the comment box at
registration.

We would like this GAP Days to be an opportunity for all
interested people with little knowledge of the insides of GAP to
join in: this includes undergraduate students, PhD students,
post-docs, and more experienced mathematicians. You will be able
to meet us and each other, and learn about GAP development and
algorithmic group theory in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

More information about GAP Days Spring 2019 is available on the
website:

  https://www.gapdays.de/gapdays2019-spring

If you have any questions, or doubts about whether this event is
for you, then please feel free to contact us by email at
gapdays2019-spring at gapdays.de

We hope to see you in Halle!
Chris, Markus, Rebecca, and Wilf