[GAP Forum] Error message when compiling gap development version

Gábor Horváth ghorvath at science.unideb.hu
Sat Nov 24 09:16:55 GMT 2018

Hi All,

At the "LINK libgap.la" stage of the compilation, I receive the following
error message:

*** Warning: Linking the shared library libgap.la against the
*** static library /home/ghorvath/work/gap/extern/install/zlib/lib/libz.a
is not portable!
/usr/bin/ld:
/home/ghorvath/work/gap/extern/install/zlib/lib/libz.a(gzlib.o):
relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol `gzrewind' can not be used when
making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
Makefile.rules:361: recipe for target 'libgap.la' failed
make: *** [libgap.la] Error 1

I use debian stretch x64, and what is more puzzling is that I have another
machine, with debian stretch x64, which doesn't produce this error. I am
trying to compile the git development version of gap, commit
ebe360c59300c.

And of course, after this error, several of the packages won't compile,
they complain not finding the appropriate information about gap in the
sysinfo.gap file.

What could cause the error?

Thanks,
Gabor