[GAP Forum] Join of two subgroups (as FP groups)

Alexander Konovalov alexander.konovalov at st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Nov 8 16:13:54 GMT 2018

Dear William,

The quotient of the free group on the union of their generators by the union of their relations will correspond to a free product of H1 and H2 - is this the group you intend to construct?

Best wishes
Alexander

> On 7 Nov 2018, at 17:11, William Giuliano <williamgiuliano00 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Forum,
>                     suppose I have two subgroups H1 and H2 of a (matrix)
> group G, such that their join is the whole of G. When I convert H1 and H2
> into Fp groups, and consider the quotient of the free group on the union of
> their generators by the union of their relations, how should the resulting
> Fp group be considered in GAP?
>
> Thank you very much
> William

Dr. Alexander Konovalov, Senior Research Fellow
Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Computational Algebra (CIRCA)
School of Computer Science, University of St Andrews
Software Sustainability Institute Fellow
https://alexk.host.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk
--
The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland:No.SC013532