[GAP Forum] Issue with finitely presented groups

Hulpke,Alexander Alexander.Hulpke at colostate.edu
Fri Sep 14 03:38:01 BST 2018

Dear Forum, Dear Paul Timmons,

Having downloaded Gap 4.9.3 I found there seems to be an issue with
computing orders of groups of greater than 1000 which were pretty immediate
in older versions.
Thank you for the report.

I looked through the (rewritten because of a lack of maintainer of the previous version) code for the Modified Todd-Coxeter that is used in this calculations and discovered a problem that leads to severe performance degradation in larger examples. A fix is submitted for inclusion in a future release.

Regards,

    Alexander Hulpke

-- Colorado State University, Department of Mathematics,
Weber Building, 1874 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1874, USA
email: hulpke at colostate.edu<mailto:hulpke at colostate.edu>, http://www.math.colostate.edu/~hulpke