[GAP Forum] IsSubgroup(FactorGroup(G/N),FactorGroup(H/N));

Stephen Linton sl4 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Aug 23 12:21:28 BST 2018

Dear Iopo Apelo Kosho,

Your analysis of the problem in the first paragraph below is correct. FactorGroup in GAP returns a group isomorphic to the relevant factor
but, in general, multiple calls to FactorGroup produce independent groups.

The solution is to instead use the factor homomorphism, which allows you to connect everything together.

So,  you might replace your line

> if notIsNearlySPermutable(FactorGroup(g,pn[i]),FactorGroup(m[j],pn[i]))

by something like

phi := NaturalHomomorphismByNormalSubgroup(g, pn[i]);
f1 := ImagesSource(phi);
f2 := Image(phi, m[j]);
if not IsNearlySPermutable(f1, f2) then

The first two lines can actually be moved outside the j loop, saving some work.

	Steve