[GAP Forum] Call for Abstracts: CICM2018 Workshop "Computer Algebra in the age of Types"

Markus Pfeiffer markus.pfeiffer at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Apr 27 09:52:28 BST 2018

Dear all!

We would like to invite abstracts (for talks, software demonstrations,
posters, etc) for the new workshop

  1st WORKSHOP ON COMPUTER ALGEBRA IN THE AGE OF TYPES (CAAT2018)
  at CICM 2018:

  https://cicm-conference.org/2018/cicm.php?event=caat

  August 13-17, 2018
  Hagenberg, Austria

  THEME
  -----

  Computer algebra, being one of the oldest computational disciplines,
  keeps growing rapidly. Most code is available as open source software:
  Constructive code tends to be written in very weakly typed systems like
  Python (notably Sage), GAP, C, or C++. Formal systems naturally carry
  strong typing and formal proof tools.

  There is still, somewhat surprisingly, very little connection between
  the two disciplines, though many attempts have been made to bridge the
  gap by devising new systems that incorporate strong typing, proof
  assistants, and powerful (bespoke) programming languages.

  This workshop advocates a slightly different approach: For modern
  computational mathematics to thrive we want to promote the use of types

  * compose existing constructive and formal systems with a low initial
    overhead, and a strong incentive towards eventual formal checkability
    and correctness by construction.
  * enable development of domain specific tools that make
    computations and algorithms in mathematical domains more natural,
    concise, and avoid large classes of common errors caused by unnecessary
    cognitive overhead
  * provide access to machine verified proofs for use
    in computation and algorithm development
  * provide access to efficient computations for use in proofs
  * enable effective automated testing a-la Haskell's Quickcheck.

  This workshop will provide an incubator for this approach, featuring a
  tutorial on the programming language Idris (https://www.idris-lang.org/)
  by its author Edwin Brady, and an introduction to the system MMT
  (https://uniformal.github.io), inviting practising researchers in
  computer algebra, formal methods, and programming languages to present
  and discuss approaches and form a common vision for the next generation
  of computer algebra.

  Submission is through EasyChair
  https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=caat2018. If you have any
  further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me by email.

Cheers,
Markus