[GAP Forum] Automorphism order computation via cycle lengths?

Bors Alexander Hermann alexanderhermann.bors at sbg.ac.at
Tue Apr 17 06:34:29 BST 2018

Dear GAP Forum,

This question, like the one that I asked a few months ago (https://mail.gap-system.org/pipermail/forum/2017/005596.html), concerns the computation of orders of automorphisms of finite pc groups with GAP (I did all the computations in GAP 4.8.9).

By playing around, I noticed the following curious phenomenon: For certain finite pc groups G (at the end of this message, I give an example with G:=SmallGroup(251^3,3)), when picking an automorphism alpha1 as well as an element g of G at random using the ProductReplacer method from the package orb (https://www.gap-system.org/Packages/orb.html), the computation of the cycle length of g under alpha1 via calling OrbitLength(Group(alpha1),G,g) takes rather long and also seems to require a lot of memory (on my computer, it ran into memory problems for G:=SmallGroup(281^3,3)), but once this computation has finished, the computation of the cycle length of any element of G under another randomly chosen automorphism alpha2 of G is very fast, allowing for a fast computation of the order of alpha2 as the least common multiple of the cycle lengths of the generators of G under alpha2, and this may outspeed the default order computation called with Order(alpha2).

This may save computation time if one is interested in computing the orders of many automorphisms of G when G is not too large (to avoid the above mentioned memory problems), and I would like to better understand the reason for this phenomenon (and whether it can be expected that it is a common phenomenon). I would be very grateful if someone who is knowledgeable about the precise implementation of OrbitLength in GAP could please elaborate.

Finally, I would like to note that before posting this question, I did try to find this out myself by having the relevant GAP source code directly displayed using ApplicableMethod (following Alexander Hulpke's helpful advice in response to my last question linked to above), but unfortunately, it seems that this does not work for OrbitLength (see the second example below) - is this a bug?

Many thanks in advance and best wishes,
Alexander

Example 1: Comparison of order computations (assuming that the package "orb" has been loaded)

gap> G:=SmallGroup(251^3,3);
<pc group of size 15813251 with 3 generators>
gap> A:=AutomorphismGroup(G);
<group of size 249058703250000 with 8 generators>
gap> pr1:=ProductReplacer(G);
<product replacer gens=3 slots=8 scramble=30 maxdepth=infinity
         steps=0 (rattle accus=5, with accelator)>
gap> pr2:=ProductReplacer(A);
<product replacer gens=8 slots=13 scramble=32 maxdepth=infinity
         steps=0 (rattle accus=5, with accelator)>
gap> g:=Next(pr1);
f1^234*f2^62*f3^215
gap> alpha1:=Next(pr2);
Pcgs([f1, f2, f3 ]) -> [ f1^124*f2^214*f3^229, f1^57*f2^173*f3^90, f3^218 ]
gap> OrbitLength(Group(alpha1),G,g);
gap> time;
gap> alpha2:=Next(pr2);
Pcgs([ f1, f2, f3 ]) -> [ f1^103*f2^91*f3^81, f1^247*f2^2*f3^116, f3^68 ]
gap> Lcm(OrbitLength(Group(alpha2),G,GeneratorsOfGroup(G)[1]),OrbitLength(Group(alpha2),G,GeneratorsOfGroup(G)[2]),OrbitLength(Group(alpha2),G,GeneratorsOfGroup(G)[3]));
gap> time;
gap> Order(alpha2);
gap> time;

Example 2: Trying to call ApplicableMethod for OrbitLength (with variable values as defined in Example 1)

gap> ApplicableMethod(OrbitLength,[Group(alpha2),G,GeneratorsOfGroup(G)[1]]);
Error, <oper> must be an operation in
  methods := METHODS_OPERATION( oper, l ); at /proc/cygdrive/C/gap4r8/lib/methwhy.g:167 called from
CallFuncList( ApplicableMethodTypes, arg ) at /proc/cygdrive/C/gap4r8/lib/methwhy.g:253 called from
<function "ApplicableMethod">( <arguments> )
 called from read-eval loop at line 15 of *stdin*

More information about the Forum mailing list