[GAP Forum] An issue with finitely presented groups

Derek Holt D.F.Holt at warwick.ac.uk
Wed Apr 4 09:21:24 BST 2018

Dear Forum, Dear Dr. Rajeevsarathy,

As Alexander conjectured, the index of the subgroup H in G is infinite in this
example. There seem to be very few known methods for computing with subgroups of
infinite index in finitely presented groups. One such method is to use the
theory of automatic coset systems, and there is an implementation of this in
the KBMAG GAP package. If you can compute an automatic coset system for
a subgroup of sn FP-group, then you can compute the index of the subgroup,
and also reduce arbitrary words (in the underlying free group) to a normal
form coset representative of the subgroup. This enables you to test membership
of the subgroup.

Of course this only word if the group in question happens to be automatic with
respect to the subgroup, but fortunately that is the case in your example.

gap> f := FreeGroup("a1","b1","a2","b2");;
gap> genf := GeneratorsOfGroup(f);;
gap> G := f/[genf[1]*genf[2]*genf[1]^(-1)*genf[2]^(-1)*genf[3]*genf[4]*
>                      genf[3]^(-1)*genf[4]^(-1)];;
gap> genG := GeneratorsOfGroup(G);;
gap> H := Subgroup(G,[genG[1],genG[2],genG[3],genG[4]^2]);;
gap>
gap> LoadPackage("kbmag");
true
gap> R := KBMAGRewritingSystem(G);;
gap> HR := SubgroupOfKBMAGRewritingSystem(R,H);;
gap> A := AutomaticStructureOnCosets(R,HR);
true
gap> Index(R,HR);
infinity
gap> ReducedCosetRepresentative(R,HR,genf[4]);
b2
gap> ReducedCosetRepresentative(R,HR,genf[4]^2);
<identity ...>
gap> ReducedCosetRepresentative(R,HR,genf[4]^3);
b2

Best wishes,
Derek Holt