[GAP Forum] Antivirus alert

dmitrii.pasechnik at cs.ox.ac.uk dmitrii.pasechnik at cs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Mar 30 11:40:01 BST 2018

Dear Evgeny,
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 12:54:33PM +0700, Evgeny Vdovin wrote:

> My  antivirus (Kaspersky) since version 4.7.8 does not allow me to install
> GAP on Windows. saying that it is infected by a virus
> PDM:TrojanWin32.Generic. Does anybody meet the dame problem?
this looks like a false alarm.
I suppose if you get GAP from the official download pages
https://www.gap-system.org/Releases/index.html
and the SHA256 of the downloads match the ones listed there,
you may be reasonably sure it's OK.

Needless to say, you might prefer building GAP from source.

Please also note that GAP uses Cygwin on Windows, and while your
antivirus is not listed here:
https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda
it may still cause problems (or not).

Cheers,