[GAP Forum] Canonical form for some small groups and efficient characterisation of the generalized symmetric groups

Colva Roney-Dougal colva.roney-dougal at st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Dec 19 12:18:49 GMT 2017

Dear Martin

Can I suggest as a canonical form for a conjugacy class of permutation group G \leq S_n

1. Fix once and for all an ordering on the permutations in S_n - lex ordering when storing the permutations as their image lists would do.
2. Find the minimal number of generators d of G.
3. Store a lex-minimal generating set amongst the different ones of size d?

I’m not completely sure this would work, and it would be awkward to compute, but it would give a canonical representative of each conjugacy class of groups?

Best wishes

Colva