[GAP Forum] Canonical form for some small groups and efficient characterisation of the generalized symmetric groups

Joshua Hunt joshuahunt at math.ku.dk
Sun Dec 17 09:46:41 GMT 2017

Dear Martin, Dear Forum,

I'm afraid I don't quite understand your objection to the SmallGroup
library. What requirements does it not fulfil? Certainly one can change
the small group ID back to a GAP group object with SmallGroup(), apply
(for example) the Centre() function, and then use IdSmallGroup() to
recover the ID of the centre. The small group identification is also
unique for a given isomorphism class of groups, so you would get the
same ID for the centre of the dihedral group of order 12 as for the
permutation group on two letters. (You can also recover a
human-readable, non-unique description of the group using
StructureDescription.)

I would also point out that "groups of order less than 47" doesn't cover
a lot of groups you probably would care about (e.g.
symmetric/alternating groups S_5/A_5 and bigger, as mentioned in your
example).

Best,
Josh