[GAP Forum] Multi-user Installation on Linux

Alexander Konovalov alexander.konovalov at st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Oct 17 15:27:40 BST 2017

Dear Gordon,

On 17 Oct 2017, at 01:21, Gordon Royle <gordon.royle at uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want to install the latest GAP on a Linux (RHEL) machine in such a way that it is accessible to multiple users. (I have root permissions on that machine.)
>
> I cannot seem to find instructions for this particular variant of the installation process - the kinds of things I need to know are
>
> - do I create a GAP directory in the shared areas (i.e. /usr/local/lib/gap4r8 or similar)
> - do I install all the packages in this shared area, or does each user maintain their own package
> - would it be easier to just ask all users to install GAP for themselves (well, this would obviously be easier for me!)
>
> (The link on the main installation page that claims to be installation documentation actually downloads a file called INSTALL.dms which I cannot open )

Could you please point me to the exact page you were looking at? I can see only links to https://www.gap-system.org/Download/INSTALL which work for me.

Also, a version of this text is supplied in the GAP distribution in the file INSTALL.md - this is a text file which may be open with any text editor.

Best wishes
Alexander