[GAP Forum] Multi-user Installation on Linux

Alexander Konovalov alexander.konovalov at st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Oct 17 15:16:19 BST 2017

Dear all,

An alternative which does not require to call GAP with an option is to
use the `.gap` directory. If you will have a package `pkgname` in the
directory

~/.gap/pkg/pkgname

then GAP will load the version of the package from there. If you will
start GAP with -r command line option, it will ignore the content of
.gap directory (which may also have other files, e.g. gap.ini and gaprc).

Please see ?GAPInfo.UserGapRoot for further details.

Best wishes
Alexander

> On 17 Oct 2017, at 12:45, John Bamberg <john.bamberg at uwa.edu.au> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Gordon was referring to me, but I already know about the
>
> gap -l “path”
>
> option, so this solves Gordon’s question.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John.
>

>> On 17 Oct 2017, at 7:33 PM, Gordon Royle <gordon.royle at uwa.edu.au> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your reply, and Bill’s addendum.
>>
>> The only problem with that set up that I can foresee is that one of the users is a package developer and constantly wants to tinker with, update and then re-load the latest version of the package.
>>
>> Is there a mechanism that allows each individual to have local versions of the packages but a common core?
>>
>> Or do we just go for most users having the common version and those with additional needs running a completely separate installation?
>>

>>> On 17 Oct 2017, at 4:02 pm, Christopher Jefferson <caj21 at st-andrews.ac.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here is what I do:
>>>
>>> 1) Untar the gap installation to a directory like /usr/local/lib/gap4r8
>>>
>>> 2) Build GAP and all packages in this directory (GAP and it’s packages does not like being moved), exactly as normal.
>>>
>>> 3) Either symlink, or copy, bin/gap.sh into a directory in the user’s path like /usr/local/bin
>>>
>>> GAP should then run happily for any user who runs it.
>>>
>>> The only problems arise if you want to try to separate different parts of GAP into different directories, which it currently doesn’t support well.
>>>
>>> Chris

Dr. Alexander Konovalov, Senior Research Fellow
Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Computational Algebra (CIRCA)
School of Computer Science, University of St Andrews
Software Sustainability Institute Fellow
https://alexk.host.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk
--
The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland:No.SC013532