[GAP Forum] Multi-user Installation on Linux

John Bamberg john.bamberg at uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 17 12:45:36 BST 2017

Hi everyone,

Gordon was referring to me, but I already know about the

gap -l “path”

option, so this solves Gordon’s question.

Cheers,

John.

> On 17 Oct 2017, at 7:33 PM, Gordon Royle <gordon.royle at uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> 
> Thanks for your reply, and Bill’s addendum.
> 
> The only problem with that set up that I can foresee is that one of the users is a package developer and constantly wants to tinker with, update and then re-load the latest version of the package. 
> 
> Is there a mechanism that allows each individual to have local versions of the packages but a common core? 
> 
> Or do we just go for most users having the common version and those with additional needs running a completely separate installation?
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>> On 17 Oct 2017, at 4:02 pm, Christopher Jefferson <caj21 at st-andrews.ac.uk> wrote:
>> 
>> Here is what I do:
>> 
>> 1) Untar the gap installation to a directory like /usr/local/lib/gap4r8
>> 
>> 2) Build GAP and all packages in this directory (GAP and it’s packages does not like being moved), exactly as normal.
>> 
>> 3) Either symlink, or copy, bin/gap.sh into a directory in the user’s path like /usr/local/bin
>> 
>> GAP should then run happily for any user who runs it.
>> 
>> The only problems arise if you want to try to separate different parts of GAP into different directories, which it currently doesn’t support well.
>> 
>> Chris
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>> On Oct 17, 2017, at 1:21 AM, Gordon Royle <Gordon.Royle at uwa.edu.au> wrote:
>>> 
>>> Hi
>>> 
>>> I want to install the latest GAP on a Linux (RHEL) machine in such a way that it is accessible to multiple users. (I have root permissions on that machine.)
>>> 
>>> I cannot seem to find instructions for this particular variant of the installation process - the kinds of things I need to know are
>>> 
>>> - do I create a GAP directory in the shared areas (i.e. /usr/local/lib/gap4r8 or similar)
>>> - do I install all the packages in this shared area, or does each user maintain their own package
>>> - would it be easier to just ask all users to install GAP for themselves (well, this would obviously be easier for me!)
>>> 
>>> (The link on the main installation page that claims to be installation documentation actually downloads a file called INSTALL.dms which I cannot open )
>>> 
>>> Thanks
>>> 
>>> Gordon
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Forum mailing list
>>> Forum at mail.gap-system.org
>>> http://mail.gap-system.org/mailman/listinfo/forum
>> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Forum mailing list