[GAP Forum] Multi-user Installation on Linux

Christopher Jefferson caj21 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Oct 17 09:02:27 BST 2017

Here is what I do:

1) Untar the gap installation to a directory like /usr/local/lib/gap4r8

2) Build GAP and all packages in this directory (GAP and it’s packages does not like being moved), exactly as normal.

3) Either symlink, or copy, bin/gap.sh into a directory in the user’s path like /usr/local/bin

GAP should then run happily for any user who runs it.

The only problems arise if you want to try to separate different parts of GAP into different directories, which it currently doesn’t support well.

Chris

> On Oct 17, 2017, at 1:21 AM, Gordon Royle <Gordon.Royle at uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> 
> Hi
> 
> I want to install the latest GAP on a Linux (RHEL) machine in such a way that it is accessible to multiple users. (I have root permissions on that machine.)
> 
> I cannot seem to find instructions for this particular variant of the installation process - the kinds of things I need to know are
> 
> - do I create a GAP directory in the shared areas (i.e. /usr/local/lib/gap4r8 or similar)
> - do I install all the packages in this shared area, or does each user maintain their own package
> - would it be easier to just ask all users to install GAP for themselves (well, this would obviously be easier for me!)
> 
> (The link on the main installation page that claims to be installation documentation actually downloads a file called INSTALL.dms which I cannot open )
> 
> Thanks
> 
> Gordon
> _______________________________________________
> Forum mailing list
> Forum at mail.gap-system.org
> http://mail.gap-system.org/mailman/listinfo/forum

More information about the Forum mailing list