[GAP Forum] Multi-user Installation on Linux

Christopher Jefferson caj21 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Oct 17 09:02:27 BST 2017

Here is what I do:

1) Untar the gap installation to a directory like /usr/local/lib/gap4r8

2) Build GAP and all packages in this directory (GAP and it’s packages does not like being moved), exactly as normal.

3) Either symlink, or copy, bin/gap.sh into a directory in the user’s path like /usr/local/bin

GAP should then run happily for any user who runs it.

The only problems arise if you want to try to separate different parts of GAP into different directories, which it currently doesn’t support well.

Chris