[GAP Forum] A question of GAP

Peter Cameron pjc20 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 15:22:10 GMT 2017

Dear Rulin, Max, everybody,

Rulin Shen's question is exactly equivalent to asking which groups
contain a "Hadamard difference set": this is a set S of size 2n^2 - n in
a group of order 4n^2 such that each non-identity element of the group
has n^2 - n representations as ab^-1, for a, b in S.

(I can provide a proof of this if anyone is interested.)

There is quite a lot of literature on Hadamard difference sets. Here are
a few relevant papers; there are many more!

David Gluck, Hadamard difference sets in groups of order 64, J.
Combinatorial
Theory (A) 51 (1989), 138-140

Alec Biehl et al., Finding Hadamard difference sets,
http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/math-reu/2013-1.pdf

Omar Abughneim, On (64,28,12) difference sets, Ars Combinatoria 111 (2013),
401-419.

Dylan Peifer, Hadamard difference sets,
http://www.math.cornell.edu/~djp282/documents/olivetti-2016.pdf

Dieter Jungnickel and Bernhard Schmidt, Difference sets: an update,
http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/bernhard/Publications/pub/update1.pdf

Peter.