[GAP Forum] Ascending chain Function

Hulpke,Alexander Alexander.Hulpke at colostate.edu
Wed Jan 18 15:01:07 GMT 2017

Dear Forum,

> On Jan 18, 2017, at 6:12 AM, ekpen ogiugo <ekpenogiugo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks
> We want  to construct all chains starting from trivial group to the whole
> group G.
> For example SymmetricGroup(3) has 10 such chains ending in G

What will not work is to simply pluralize a function name and expect that it will create all objects in a sensible way.

My suggestion would be to determine all subgroups, create the directed graph given by inclusion, and then systematically build all paths. This is something you would have to code yourself.

Regards,

   Alexander Hulpke

-- Colorado State University, Department of Mathematics,
Weber Building, 1874 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1874, USA
email: hulpke at colostate.edu, Phone: ++1-970-4914288
http://www.math.colostate.edu/~hulpke