[GAP Forum] Installing gap package

Dima Pasechnik dmitrii.pasechnik at cs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Aug 27 16:25:40 BST 2016

Dear Sara,
On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 07:10:49PM +0430, Sara Dikson wrote:
> I would like to install "atlasrep" package in ubuntu but I couldn't!
> Is it possible help me to install it step by step?

I take it as you use GAP installed as a Ubuntu package.

Assuming you have admin rights on your machine, you simpy can install
the package into /usr/share/gap/pkg/
That is, you cd to this directory and untar the package you downloaded
from
http://www.gap-system.org/pub/gap/gap4/tar.gz/packages/atlasrep1r5p1.tar.gz

In more detail, assuming the tar file in in /tmp:
$ cd /usr/share/gap/pkg/
$ sudo tar xf /tmp/atlasrep1r5p1.tar.gz

Finally, you will need to make AtlasRep data cache directories writable
to all the users (this is not very secure step - on systems
with many people using it this does not look like a good idea):

$ sudo chmod 777 /usr/share/gap/pkg/atlasrep/data*

There are ways to make the latter more secure, described in the package
manual, if you need it.

Hope this helps,
Dima