[GAP Forum] Character Table of semigroups

Amin Saeidi saeidi.amin at gmail.com
Sat May 14 16:25:53 BST 2016

Dear all,

I am trying to find the character tables of some finitely presented
semigroups, say for example:
<a,b| a^5=a, b^3=b, a^3b = ba>.
It is an inverse semigroup of order 14. I can Define this semigroup in GAP
4.8.3 but I fail to find the character table:

*gap> IsInverseSemigroup(S);*
*true*
*gap> CharacterTableOfInverseSemigroup(S);*
*Error, no method found! For debugging hints type ?Recovery from
NoMethodFound*
*Error, no 1st choice method found for `CharacterTableOfInverseSemigroup'
on 1 arguments called from*
*<function "HANDLE_METHOD_NOT_FOUND">( <arguments> )*
* called from read-eval loop at line 87 of *stdin**
*you can 'quit;' to quit to outer loop, or*
*you can 'return;' to continue*

I thought this command may only work for monoids, so I considered a monoid
of order 15 but it didn't work either. However it works for some other
monoids. For instance the command gives the  character table of S if I
write
 *S:=SymmetricInverseMonoid(3); *

I will be grateful to let me know if it is a bug or I am doing something
wrong.
Best regards,
Amin