[GAP Forum] Checking equality of elements of words in a finitely presented group

James Mitchell jdm3 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Apr 29 09:36:01 BST 2016

Dear Edwin,

Probably someone else will reply with a more elaborate answer, but you
might want to consult:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_problem_for_groups#Unsolvability_of_the_uniform_word_problem

A very short answer is that the word problem for finitely presented groups
is unsolvable, i.e. it is known that there is no single algorithm that can
for every finitely presented group say whether two words represent the same
element.

Best wishes,

James